The 2012 summer program will include six major components designed to
accommodate a wide range of ages (5-17), varying sailing skills and
abilities, and individual goals.
The following "kick-off" program options are available to
- Opti Kids - Introduction to sailing for young beginners.
Program is designed to be the springboard for beginning sailors from
ages 5-8 to start their sailing careers. Young sailors generally up to
age 8 enroll in Opti Kids for two years prior to signing up for Junior
Week. Two classes are offered, one for first and one for
second year sailors.
- Junior Week - Various levels of instruction designed to
teach sailing to all juniors ages 6-17.
Junior Week is the club's centerpiece summer event. This large five-day
event for juniors ages 6 and up is dedicated to learning to sail,
making new friends and having a great time on and off the
water. Students, depending on their age and interests, are
placed in Beginning Opti, Intermediate Opti I or II, Beginning Racing or Advanced Racing in Optis or Laser Radials, 420 and finally, group sailing in keelboats.
For the remainder of the summer, junior sailors may choose from the following options:
- Opti Development Team - Race coaching and training for
beginning racers, mostly in Optimist Green Fleet, including travel to
local regattas. This program is a great follow up to Junior Week,
a great introduction to taking racing skills to the next level, and
provides a glimpse of what the Race Team is all about without a
significant time and financial investment.
- Opti and Laser Race Teams - Intensive coaching, practice sessions, race
training and travel to local, regional and national regattas.
Team will practice six days per week and/or travel to Chesapeake Bay, regional and national regattas.
- Regattas - This year we will host the Commonwealth of Virginia Junior Championship Regatta on June 23 and 24, immediately following Junior Week. The Championship is open to all juniors. There will be a separate Green Fleet course and Green Fleet clinic in conjunction with the regatta, and courses for Opti Red, Blue and White; Laser Radials and 420s. This year we are placing an emphasis on helping new sailors make that sometimes intimidating first step into regatta racing. We will close out the summer with the Annual One-Design Regatta on August 11 and 12. Finally, our club will hold regattas throughout the sailing season in which junior sailors are welcome and encouraged to race.
- Private Lessons - Individually tailored lessons from our Opti Development Team coach, from beginner to advanced racing tactics and strategy; aboard club Optis, Lasers or 420s. Please contact David Lennarz at (757) 876-0992 or by email at email@example.com, to schedule lessons and for rates.
2012 Program courses are set forth in the following table and
described below the table:
The Chesapeake Bay junior regatta schedule can be found at the
following site: www.my.calendars.net/cbyrajunior.
The Junior Program registrar for 2012 is Mark Hayes:
firstname.lastname@example.org (336) 333-2900.