21st ANNUAL SOUTHERN CHESAPEAKE LEUKEMIA CUP REGATTA
Friday, July 12 - Sunday, July 14, 2019
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Leukemia Cup RegattaSM is a thrilling series of sailing events that combines the joy of boating with the important task of raising money to cure cancer. Since its inception, the Leukemia Cup Regatta has raised millions of dollars for lifesaving research and patient services, bringing help and hope to patients and their families.
NOTICE OF RACE – 21th Annual Southern Chesapeake Leukemia Cup Regatta July 12-14, 2019, Fishing Bay Yacht Club, 1525 Fishing Bay Road, Deltaville, VA 23043. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Fishing Bay Yacht Club are co-organizing authorities for this regatta. Fishing Bay Yacht Club is the Host Club and will provide race management assisted by Stingray Harbor Yacht Club and Hampton Yacht Club, with onshore activities hosted by the Deltaville Maritime Museum.
- The Leukemia Cup Regatta will be governed by the rules as defined in the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS).
- ADVERTISING – Advertising shall be in accordance with World Sailing Regulation 20.
- ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRIES
- East Course Classes expected to compete include PHRF Spinnaker and PHRF Non-Spinnaker (only one (1) headsail to be set at a time downwind), and One-Design classes. Fleets may be combined for starts or sub-divided into PHRF A, B, C, and Non-Spinnaker. One Design classes (monohull over 20 feet LOA) with at least five (5) registered (entry complete and fee paid) are encouraged. PHRF boats must have a current valid PHRF rating certificate and shall comply with US Sailing "Safety Equipment Requirements" (SER) - "Nearshore" category with CBYRA prescriptions/changes.
- West Course Classes expected to compete include Leukemia (Cruising) and Classic (mono-hull sailboats whose design is 25 years old or older) Cruising Class & Classic Class will receive a courtesy rating which may not be appealed. West Course competitors will be allowed only one (1) headsail to be set at a time downwind; setting gennakers or spinnakers downwind is not allowed.
- Eligible boats may be entered by
- Clicking the “Register” link at http://www.leukemiacup.org/va or on YachtScoring
- Calling the LLS VA office at 804-774-2261
- Mailing registration form to: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Attn: Leukemia Cup Regatta, 5540 Falmouth St., Ste. 101, Richmond, VA 23230.
- Late registration will be available Friday, July 12th, at Deltaville Maritime Museum.
- Entries received before June 13th will have boat name featured on the official Leukemia Cup Regatta t-shirt.
- Except for the Cruising or Classic, all boats must have a current valid measurement or rating certificate on file with or issued by the appropriate CBYRA Class Association. One-Design competitors must be members of their respective class associations.
- Except for the Cruising or Classic, boats shall display either the sail number issued by their National Authority (US Sailing) or the number as maintained by their fleet or class. All sail numbers on a boat must be the same unless prior written approval by the Principal Race Officer is obtained.
- Entry Fee: $125, increasing to $150 after June 13th.
- Dinner tickets are available from LLS or at the Deltaville Maritime Museum on July 12th at a cost of $20 for Friday and $35 for Saturday. Child dinners are complimentary each night with the purchase of an adult dinner.
- SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, July 12th: 1800-2200 Social, Auction Day 1, and Dinner, Deltaville Maritime Museum. Dinner tickets available in advance with a limited number at the event. 1930 Skippers’ Meetings for All Classes.
Saturday, July 13th – Racing for East and West Courses: 1100 Warning Signal for first race; subsequent races to follow. 1730 Social and Off-the-Water contests begin; 1745 Daily awards; 1800-2200 Music, Dinner, Gala and Auction, Deltaville Maritime Museum
Sunday, July 14th - Racing for East and West Courses: 1000 Warning Signal for first race; subsequent races to follow. 1600 (Approx.) Awards Ceremony, Fishing Bay Yacht Club
- SAILING INSTRUCTIONS
- Sailing Instructions will be online at YachtScoring and available at registration, Friday July 12th, 2019, 1800 to 1930, at the Deltaville Maritime Museum.
- Amendments to the Sailing Instructions and Notices to Competitors will be posted on the Official Notice Board at Deltaville Maritime Museum and online at YachtScoring.
- East Course – located in the vicinity of the mouth of the Piankatank River
- West Course – located in the mouth of the Piankatank River West of Stingray Point (this is a change from last year)
- Onshore Activities – Deltaville Maritime Museum, 287 Jackson Creek Road. Deltaville, VA 23043
- East Course will use courses designating number of legs to be sailed
- West Course will use courses around dropped or government marks to be specified in the West Course Sailing Instructions
- SCORING AND PRIZES The Low Point Scoring System will be used. There will be no throw-outs. This is a fundraising event - in addition to class fleet awards there will be awards for the top fundraising boats.
- DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY Competitors participate in the regatta entirely at their own risk. See rule 4, Decision to Race. The organizing authority will not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during, or after the regatta.
- CBYRA SANCTION The event is sanctioned for CBYRA High Point awards for PHRF Spinnaker and Non-Spinnaker and One-Design Classes
- ALCOHOL The legal drinking age in Virginia is 21. Minors will not be served and proof of age will be required. Intoxication or discourteous behavior will be grounds for expulsion from the events. Boat captains and owners will be responsible for the actions of their crew. A BOAT IS SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION BY THE PROTEST COMMITTEE IF ANY UNDER-AGE CREW IS FOUND TO BE ILLEGALLY CONSUMING ALCOHOL.
- FURTHER INFORMATION
- LLS Staff Contact: Kathleen Petroziello, 937-725-0075, Petroziello@lls.org
- LCR 2019 Event Chair Diane Simon, (804) 920-0145, email@example.com
- LCR 2019 PRO: David Hinckle, (804) 370-7650, firstname.lastname@example.org