Membership application is encouraged from those interested in becoming actively involved in our sailing programs. The membership process is coordinated by our Secretary. They can by reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply For Membership
Applying for membership is a simple, easy process, accomplished by completing an application and submitting it to the Membership Chair alongside letters from two club members who have agreed to sponsor your application. All of this can be done electronically.
- You can fill out a membership application by clicking here: Membership Application. The application is simple and straight-forward. Once you press the Submit button, the form will be emailed to the Membership Committee. It will also email a copy to the applicant. The applicant will also be able to make corrections from there.
- Two sponsors who are active members are required to write letters of reference or complete a sponsor's questionnaire (see Frequently Asked Questions on side bar about how to line up a sponsor). Sponsors will answer your questions, provide an initial orientation to FBYC, and help you make entry into the Club. Please have sponsors send their letters to the membership chair: email@example.com Please indicate on your application if you do not have 2 sponsors and if you need help with this requirement.
- After submitting your application, a member of the Membership Committee will contact the applicant to start the process and answer any lingering questions.
- A meeting with members of the Membership Committee and your sponsors is scheduled. This is usually a virtual meeting over Zoom. In the case of family applications, both husband and wife are encouraged to attend, but only one prospective member is required. The Membership Committee meeting is a pleasant and enjoyable introduction to the Club.
- Presentation of the prospective member(s) to the Board of Trustees for a vote.
What types of membership are there?
- Family: Family membership includes married adults, where the primary member is 22 or older, and any unmarried children under age 26 as of January 1, or a single adult and his or her unmarried children under age 26 as of January 1.
- Single Adult: Unmarried adult who is age 22 or older, with no unmarried children under the age of 26, as of January 1.
- Associate Junior: A member, ages 16-26, who is unattached to a family membership and whose membership is renewed annually through election.
- Ancient Mariner: A member, age 70 or older, who has been a member of the Club for at least 20 years as of January 1.
- Life: A member whose contributions to the Club are recognized by the Board conferring this status. Life members pay no dues, but enjoy all membership privileges.
- Honorary: Individuals whose contributions to the Club, even though not Club members, are recognized by the Board conferring this status. Honorary members pay no dues, but enjoy all membership privileges except that they may not hold office.
How Long Does the Application Process Take?
Once an application is completed and submitted with the sponsor letter, applicants will be invited to meet with the Membership Committee, which usually meets once a month; and a summary of the applicant's experience and interests will be published by email to the general membership. After the applicant has met with the Membership Committee, the Chair will submit the application to the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees votes on the application at its next monthly Board meeting. Generally, the application process takes about a month from submission to final approval, depending on the date of submission and the dates of Membership Committee and Board meetings.
What's My Status While My Application Is Pending?
Applicants who have attended a Membership Committee meeting have full club privileges, with the exception of boat slip or storage privileges, while their applications are pending. Applicants are encouraged to use Club facilities and to participate in Club functions.
Need Additional Information?
Prospective members should contact Membership Chair by email for any additional information pertaining to the application process.