Thursday January 7, 2016 10:50PMon
This fall and winter the event scheduling committee consisting of our fleet and division leaders led by incoming vice commodore David Lennarz have been hard at work creating the 2016 Events Schedule. They took a close look at our events over the past year and have hopefully created a schedule that does more of what we like and less of what we don't like from previous years. They've also done their best to coordinate with other local and regional sailing and non-sailing events to reduce conflicts where possible.
A couple noteworthy changes for this year:
- The format for Opening Day is unchanged, but the next day on Sunday has been designated for recuperation, training by teams, RC, fleets, etc. Offshore Spring Series #1 will commence on Sunday, April 24.
- The Open House Regatta has been moved from Saturday to Sunday (5/29) of Memorial day weekend and no other racing is scheduled that weekend. This eliminates conflicts with Deltaville town activities and enables Down the Bay racers to participate in person or by boat if they are fast enough. The Lasers will do some training or clinic on Saturday for those interested.
- The Laser Spring Regatta will be run in conjunction with a yet to be determined One Design Spring race day.
- Flying Scot Husband Wife Regatta June 11-12 will see 40 or more Flying Scot teams from around the country competing at FBYC.
- FBYC is tentatively planning to run the Start for the St. Mary's Governor's Cup Southern leg as we did last year.
- The J/70 & Laser fleets will continue their separate spring/summer/fall races on non-race days for other divisions.
- J/70 Friday night series enters it's 3rd year with racing from June-July and into August.
- September 10 Wolf Trap Race will run in conjunction with the J/70 Fall Regatta - after starting the race to Wolf Trap, the J/70 will race at the same starting area until time limit or time to finish the distance race.
- Fall is largely unchanged from last year with the bigger events: Stingray Point, J/70 Chesapeake Championship, Chesapeake Laser Masters and Closing Day Race & Oyster Roast in their usual weekends.
The Cruising Division schedule is still being worked out at this time, and has not yet been posted.
And if you have any questions about these events or want to know how you can participate or volunteer, contact the fleet captains and division commanders.