Thursday May 21, 2020 03:12PMon
|Fellow FBYC Members
This weekend is Memorial Day. It is traditionally the weekend we usher in summer with water, sailing and close camaraderie. As with most activities this year, things are slightly different.
Over the past couple of months, the Sailing Commanders, Chairs, our staff, numerous volunteers and the Flag, have been working to address the challenges of living in the CoVid19 Pandemic while striving to enable all of us to participate in the sport we love.
Recently, the Governor issued executive order 61 which provides for Phase 1 easing and we have been considering how this may impact FBYC. In particular, we have assessed the actions directed at all business sectors and those specific for organizations such as campgrounds, recreation centers and marinas. We have also been assessing the protective and operating measures employed by other Yacht Clubs and private clubs. After reviewing these orders and the Virginia, CDC and Middlesex County guidance, we have implemented a number of actions to further increase access at FBYC and help us enjoy our time at the Bay. Please note, Phase 1 is part of the gradual reversal of action taken to reduce the rapid spread of CoVid19. There remain several important guidelines in place that we urge all to follow to help protect the safety and health of our membership.
- Practice social distancing.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- If you are sick – stay home. There are plenty of nice summer days ahead.
- Keep groupings to 10 or less.
- Wear a mask when entering the bath house.
- Limit use of the bathhouse to one person at a time - clean up after yourself.
- Be prepared - Bring your own hand sanitizer, wipes, ice, grilling utensils and bathing supplies.
- Bring your own cleaning supplies for things like the grills and to sanitize common touched surfaces like the lift and pump out controls.
- Wear a mask if you stop to shop – the markets are open.
- Maintain a safe distance from others when loading up at the dock, on the ramp or in the one design yard.
- Use good judgement and common sense. The swimming pool will remain closed. Virginia Exec Order 61 only allows for lane or lap swimming which the club pool is neither designed nor set up to accommodate. Anticipating further easing of restrictions, we are assessing practical solutions to allow the pool to open. We expect that among other changes to operation, limiting the number of people in the pool area at the same time will be required as well implementing some type of schedule to allow all members an opportunity to safely enjoy the pool.
We also wish to reconfirm that, consistent with Gowrie Group Best Practices for Sailing Organizations and the Virginia Marine Trades Association, FBYC dockage is for members only. At this time, we are not open to non-members for transient docking or boaters looking for reciprocal privileges.
We are all looking forward to enjoying a great holiday weekend. Please be considerate of your fellow members and practice these and all the Health and Safety guidelines.
Tracy Schwarzschild, Commodore
Elizabeth Staas, Vice Commodore
Joe Roos, Rear Commodore
Doug Bendura, House Chair
Steve Montgomery, Grounds Chair