Thursday April 2, 2020 08:59PMon
April 1, 2020 Dear Fishing Bay Yacht Club Members- The Club leadership continues to hope all of our members and their families are well and safe as we navigate the stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are updating our FBYC protocols and planning much sooner than we anticipated. As many of you are aware, the Governor of Virginia updated his Executive Order (#55) on March 30, 2020 to extend the Stay at Home requirements until June 10, 2020. The order has key elements specifically referencing what is and isn’t an essential need. We have updated our notices regarding activities scheduled to be held at FBYC as well as access to Club buildings and the campus in general.
- Effective immediately, to ensure we promote social distancing and the safety of all of our members and guests, all FBYC sponsored events are postponed thru June 10, 2020. This applies to all fleets and social events on the FBYC grounds. The Flag Officers and the Fleet Commanders are coordinating to identify how to accommodate all divisions and their events and activities. We will continue to monitor recommendations from the CDC and federal and local governments to determine when safety for all members allows us to return to more normal usage of our Club facilities and activities. We will work diligently to reschedule events as best we can when restrictions are lifted and have plans in place to restructure what remains of the season in the safest possible way.
- We urge you to heed all safety recommendations regarding social distancing to allow for us all to weather this pandemic with the best possible outcomes. Our members, staff and guests are FBYC’s most valuable assets and we wish to ensure their safety above all else.
- To ensure safety while adhering to recommendations to limit gatherings, social distancing and appropriate cleaning we are asking that members restrict use of certain Club areas. These restrictions are effectively immediately and for the foreseeable future until June 10. The Flag Officers and Division Commanders will provide status updates if any adjustments need to be made.
- The East Bathhouse and Main Clubhouse/Members Kitchen and now Fannie’s House will be closed and inaccessible until June 10.
- Brian will transfer a defibrillator and a First Aid kits to the patio under the porch of Fannie’s House and the Main Club House front porch
- Club owned boats are not to be used (sail, junior boats and power) prior to June 10.
As a reminder, the County of Middlesex has requested all of us to refrain from discretionary travel to the County as well. “Avoid discretionary travel” is exactly the language used in the President’s Corona Virus Guidelines. The Board of Supervisors of Middlesex is seriously concerned about the susceptibility of the County’s elderly population and lack of healthcare facilities in our area. Our tourist-based economy is, of course, highly impacted by any travel restrictions, but we consider this a modest request.
Brian Ankrom is taking care of our Club facilities and still prepping for whenever we can open back up. He is walking the docks checking on boats so rest assured. The FBYC website and our social media outlets will be updated periodically to keep you abreast of ongoing developments. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to the Flag Officers and Division Commanders. If we all pull together (with a 6-foot distance) we will weather this storm more successfully.
- FBYC Flag Officers and Sailing Division Commanders