Tuesday April 20, 2021 08:54PMon
Our 2021 Schedule is posted and here are some highlights for ILCA Dinghy/Laser Sailing to put on your calendar for this year.
Club Series - these are 5 single day events spread throughout the year that count towards the season series using the high point system. Anyone who sails in 50% of the races held qualifies for the series. Some of these race days are sailed during one design events with the Flying Scots, and other days will be stand alone days. We'll run a Radial fleet and radial series on the days we have enough boats. There's no entry fee and first warning times vary depending on the day.
- Saturday, May 15 - Spring Regatta
- Saturday, July 17 - Summer Regatta #1 (Sea Breeze #2)
- Sunday, August 22 - Summer Regatta #2
- Sunday, September 26 - Fall Regatta
- Sunday, November 7 - Frostbite Regatta
Junior Regatta - FBYC hosts a 2-day invitational Junior Regatta that is well attended by juniors from around the bay and beyond. The Radial fleet is quite competitive and features a who's who of bay Radial sailors.
- Jun 26-27 Junior Regatta
Distance Races - There are two distance races open to Laser/ILCA Dinghy. These sail mostly government mark courses and typically take 2-3 hours. They are a lot of fun to be on the course and racing against mostly bigger boats.
- Sunday, May 30 (Memorial Day Weekend) Open House Regatta - This is a staggered start race where each type of boat has their own starting time with the slower boats starting first and the faster boats starting later. First over the line wins. Our boats do well in a dying breeze.
- Sunday, July 4th - Long Distance Race - This is a portsmouth handicap race limited to boats 25' at the waterline. Everyone starts together and runs around a government mark course.
Annual One Design Regatta - this is a two day multi-class regatta that typically features starts for Radials and Standards. Saturday night expect food and entertainment.
- August 14-15 - 82nd Annual One Design Regatta
Masters - Our Chesapeake Bay Laser Masters is an annual masters (35+) event that will be celebrating its 40th year. This is one of the premiere events for masters sailors on the Chesapeake Bay and regularly sees fleets of 40+ boats hailing from as many as 8-10 hours drive time away. This not-to-be missed event features Alain Vincey's amazing cooking, great race committee and is an event sailors return to year after year.
- October 2-3 - 40th Chesapeake Bay Laser Masters Championship
Training - Mike Toms puts on a training session open to experienced or inexperienced Laser Sailors including those wanting to try this kind of boat.
- Saturday, May 25 - ILCA Dinghy/Laser Training
Events Elsewhere - beyond FBYC there are a number of other events around the Bay and beyond that are just a short drive. The complete schedule is on the D11 webpage: https://laserdistrict11.wordpress.com/2021-events/
- April 24-25 Annual Spring ILCA Classic @ Hampton Yacht Club
- May 22-23 District 11 Championship @ Norfolk Yacht and Country Club
- May 22-23 Atlantic Coast Championship @ Carolina Yacht Club
- June 17-20 ILCA Nationals @ Norfolk Yacht and Country Club
- August 28-29 Laser Masters Atlantic Coast Championship @ Brant Beach YC
Got questions about any of these events? Drop me an email.