Tuesday July 7, 2020 09:46PMon
The ongoing pandemic has had a huge effect on the 2020 sailing season. Many regional events have been cancelled and others are undecided whether they will happen or not.
Fishing Bay Yacht Club is committed to hosting the Stingray Point Regatta this Labor Day Weekend although it will be in a modified format. We are challenged in providing great racing and a fun weekend while at the same time creating a safe environment for everyone. This is how we intend to proceed.
- Saturday September 5 there will be multiple races around drop marks for PHRF, One Design and Cruising Classes.
- Sunday September 6th there will be a distance race around government marks. The distance will be determined by the weather conditions of the day but we expect to set a course of around 15nm.
- Sadly the race scheduled for Friday September 4th is cancelled.
- We will host a double handed subdivision for all classes. So those who wish to sail with a minimum crew can participate. These boats will start with their respective fleets but will be scored separately. We strongly encourage our cruising friend to participate here.
- The social is going to look a bit different.
- Dinner will be a spaghetti, lasagna, manicotti menu served boxed dinner style. Please pre-order. The cost will be $10.00 per meal. There will be no buffet line.
- We will provide complimentary beer, water and soft drinks.
- Liquor will be BYOB.
- There will be a big tent with tables and chairs spaced appropriately to facilitate eating and socializing at a safe distance.
- We are working on having live music but it will be a small two or three piece group.
- We do recommend mask or buffs be handy and worn when circumstances may limit social distancing.
- T shirts will be available pre order only.
- There will be a virtual Skippers Meeting available at Yachtscoring.com
- The awards ceremony will be modified to promote social distancing.
We recognize that this plan is a far cry from the Stingray Point Regattas of the past. The good news is the cost of entry is now greatly reduced to $25.00 per boat. We strongly encourage you to sign up early. Dinners will be pre-order only and may not be available for purchase at the event.
We are looking forward to hosting this event. We truly believe we can put on a great regatta in a safe environment that will be enjoyable by all who attend.